All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Grandpa Sea Shells' tells the story of three young children who spend a day with their grandparents after their grandfather has been diagsed with dementia. The book is intended to support conversation at the time of first changes in a relative, a diagsis of dementia and mild to moderate progression. Families and clinicians have told us this is the time period when they need material to support their explanations to children. Whilst the book could be used to start a conversation about any form of dementia, most of the key symptoms described in this story reflect the typical features associated with the Alzheimer's type, as this continues to be the most common. This book has been designed so that children of between four and ten can read it independently. Ideally it should be used with an adult to facilitate discussion about all aspects of family life and to enhance general emotional wellbeing. The book deliberately makes dementia one of many things going on for this family and highlights things that families can still enjoy together. We have included ideas for positive activities at the end of the book as well as puzzle and description pages that children can enjoy doing with a family member, teacher or clinician.
- Author BiographyJo Johnson has been working as a neuropsychologist for eighteen years. She worked for two decades within the NHS but now works as an independent consultant teaching and writing for several of the national neurology charities. Her specialist interests include brain injury, dementia and multiple sclerosis. She has written several books to meet the needs of children who have a parent with a neurological diagnosis including 'how to talk to your kids about MS' and my parent has a brain injury; a guide for young people'
- Author(s)Jo Johnson
- PublisherSpeechmark Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication09/09/2013
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationBicester, Oxon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpeechmark Publishing Ltd
- Weight830 g
- Width210 mm
- Height148 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.49Trending at AU $29.39
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $33.37
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.74
- AU $36.86Trending at AU $44.04
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.72
- AU $15.44Trending at AU $17.17
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.