All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith her walk across America at the age of 90, New Hampshire native Doris Haddock entered the national consciousness as Granny D, a candid and feisty champion of commonsense populist politics. Four years later she ran for the U.S. Senate against the usual entrenched big-party interests and lost. In the meantime, she became a cause c l bre, and an example of the kind of politics that puts people first. Granny D's American Century is the story of Doris Haddock both before and after these events: as a young woman whose bedrock New England values were tested during the Great Depression, and as a -nsense nagenarian putting those values to work in the causes of voters' rights, women's rights, and campaign finance reform.
Written in a clear, unsparing prose, Granny D's American Century is a warm reflection on a life well lived, and a clear and spirited call for virtue in American civic life.
- Author BiographyA lifelong resident of New Hampshire, DORIS GRANNY D HADDOCK is the subject of the documentary film Run, Granny, Run! and the author, with DENNIS MICHAEL BURKE, of Walking Across America in My 90th Year. She died in 2010. Dennis Michael Burke, the former director of Arizona Common Cause, is a writer living in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Author(s)Dennis Michael Burke,Doris Haddock
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication15/05/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight450 g
- Width161 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.