All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn introduction to a new way of modeling musical surfaces for theorists and for generating precompositional relationships for composers, this unique music theory reference work introduces, classifies, and enumerates graph theoretical models for musical transformations in compositional and analytical applications. It also provides a practical application of musical applications for students of graph theory and could serve as an introduction to the further cross-integration of these two disciplines. Of interest to scholars, advanced music theory students, and composers, this work endeavors to facilitate the expression and understanding of musical ideas by presenting an unexplored way of tating relationships between transformational objects that is t attached to specific compositional or analytical systems. Graph theoretical models of abstract musical transformations supplement and refine the ability to articulate orderings with pitch structures in analytical environments. An extended analysis of the opening section of Form IV: Broken Sequences by Stefan Wolpe is used as a demonstration. The use of these diagrams to generate compositional surfaces differs slightly from their use in analysis: an analytical model relates to a single musical surface, whereas compositional applications can be used to generate any potential surface derived from construction of the graphs.
- Author BiographyJEFFREY JOHNSON is Associate Director of Artistic Education and Chair of the Music Theory Department at the renowned Boys Choir of Harlem. He has degrees in musical composition from Boston University, Eastman School of Music, and Ithaca College. He is an active composer, conductor, and theorist. His first book, Thesaurus of Abstract Musical Properties was published by Greenwood Press in 1995.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Johnson
- Date of Publication21/08/1997
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleMusic Reference Collection
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 62.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight486 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.