All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the influential work of Los Bros Hernandez in Love & Rockets, to comic strips and political cartoons, to traditional superheroes made ntraditional by means of racial and sexual identity (e.g., Miles Morales/Spider-Man), comics have become a vibrant medium to express Lati identity and culture. Indeed, Lati fiction and nfiction narratives are rapidly proliferating in graphic media as diverse and varied in form and content as is the whole of Lati culture today. Graphic Borders presents the most thorough exploration of comics by and about Latis currently available. Thirteen essays and one interview by eminent and rising scholars of comics bring to life this exciting graphic genre that conveys the distinctive and wide-ranging experiences of Latis in the United States. The contributors' exhilarating excavations delve into the following areas: comics created by Latis that push the boundaries of generic conventions; Lati comic book author-artists who complicate issues of race and gender through their careful reconfigurations of the body; comic strips; Lati superheroes in mainstream comics; and the complex ways that Lati superheroes are created and consumed within larger popular cultural trends. Taken as a whole, the book unveils the resplendent riches of comics by and about Latis and proves that there are limits to the ways in which Latis can be represented and imagined in the world of comics.
- Author BiographyFrederick Luis Aldama is Arts and Humanities Distinguished Professor of English and University Distinguished Scholar at the Ohio State University. Christopher Gonzalez is an assistant professor of English at Texas A&M University-Commerce.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication12/04/2016
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleWorld Comics and Graphic Nonfiction Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note51 b&w illus.
- Weight639 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine661 mm
- Edited byChristopher Gonzalez,Frederick Luis Aldama
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.