Great American Houses and Their Architectural Style by Virginia Savage McAlester, A.Lee McAlester, Lee McAlester (Hardback, 1994)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $89.05Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $53.93+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA sumptuously illustrated, authoritative introduction to the principal architectural and decorating styles of the American house, from Colonial times to the mid-twentieth century. In this lavishly produced volume, authors Virginia and Lee McAlester explore outstanding landmark houses that exemplify America's major architectural and interior design styles from Colonial times to the mid-twentieth century. These twenty-five houses are illustrated with more than 350 specially commissioned full-color photographs of interior and exterior views, 125 black-and-white line drawings and floor plans, historical paintings, and vintage photographs. The text t only discusses the houses architectural invations and design elements but also profiles the architects and their clients. The featured houses were built by many of the country's leading architects-from Alexander Jackson Davis, Richard Morris Hunt, Henry Hobson Richardson, and McKim, Mead and White to Frank Lloyd Wright, the Greene brothers, and Walter Gropius-and owned by some of its most celebrated citizens, including Thomas Jefferson, Mark Twain, Thomas Edison, Jay Gould, the Guggenheim's, the Phippses', and the Vanderbilt's. As a result, the book is as much a cultural history as it is an architectural study. The authors also include an informative discussion of each style as it can be seen in vernacular versions around the country. Located all over the United States, most of the featured houses are open to the public, and the book provides their addresses and other helpful information for visitors. Great American Houses and Their Architectural Styles will be irresistible to all house lovers, architects, and designers, and will give readers a deeper understanding and appreciation of our rich architectural heritage.
- Author BiographyVirginia and Lee McAlester, authors of the classic architectural work A Field Guide to American Houses, live in Dallas. Alex McLean is the photographer of Private New York and Private Palm Beach. He lives in New York and his work appears in the New York Times, Metropolitan Home, Mirabella, and Vanity Fair.
- Author(s)A.Lee McAlester,Lee McAlester,Virginia Savage McAlester
- PublisherAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication27/10/1994
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Out-of-print date13/12/2008
- Content Note400 line illustrations, 370 in colour, 125 line drawings
- Weight2125 g
- Width251 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Photographs byAlex McLean
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.