All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionIn Great Expectation , Dan Roche gives a man's perspective on what it means to start and expand a family relatively later in life. Through a series of diary entries in turns humorous, angst ridden, and full of hope and joy, Roche describes his own thoughts and concerns during the nine months of his wife's pregnancy.With five years of parenting his irrepressible daughter Maeve under his belt, Roche, already forty-five years old, and his wife, Maura, face the prospect of ather arrival and the myriad of emotions that come with a second child. From revelling in the joys of pregnancy such as Maura's delight at having cleavage and being able to eat whatever she desires; to assuaging the parental anxieties of choosing the right obstetrician, correcting the mistakes one made with the first child, and sending children to college in the future; to navigating the unforeseen, experiencing the unexpected death of a parent, and feeling trepidation toward the thought of having a son, Roche records his emotions with unusual candidness and intimacy.Reflecting on day-to-day events and their significance in his family's life together, Roche wonders what he is getting himself into and how much deeper he can immerse himself into parenting. Together, he and his wife face the bittersweet intersections of death and new life, menace and hopefulness. With sincerity and a mature wit, Great Expectation stands as a wise recounting of nine months' time, with all of its chaos and charms, and offers a fresh perspective for first-time and veteran parents alike.
- Author BiographyDan Roche is an assistant professor in the Department of English at Le Moyne College, in Syracuse, New York. He is also the author of Love's Labors: A Memoir of Marriage and Divorce. His essays have appeared in the North American Review, Under the Sun, the Journal, and sportsjones.
- Author(s)Dan Roche
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Series TitleSightline Books: The Iowa Series in Literary Nonfiction
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Weight363 g
- Width146 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Series Edited byPatricia Hampl,Carl H. Klaus
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.