All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRatnaguna presents a commentary on the three Pure Land Sutras - the Shorter and Longer Sukhavati-vyuha Sutras and the Amitayur-Dhyana Sutra. Looking at them as a practising Buddhist inspired by the Sutras, he shows how they describe Sukhavati and Amitabha/Amitayus, Sukhavati's relationship with faith and practice, explain how they came about (a 'mythical history'), and tell us how we can be reborn there. The Sutras all discuss the aspiration to be reborn in Sukhavati but can also be understood metaphorically - rebirth taking place in this very life, and Sukhavati being a description of the Enlightened Mind. The Sutras put forward a path of faith and grace, as well as effort and practice. Using a practical and imaginative approach, Ratnaguna explores the main themes from the texts, including the '3-fold Goodness' or '3 acts of merit' necessary to be reborn into Sukhavati, and the 13 meditations given by the Buddha. This book will appeal to both practising Buddhists and anyone interested in Buddhism from a practical point of view.Includes translations of the three Pure Land sutras by Sraddhapa.
- Author BiographyRatnaguna is a member of the Triratna Buddhist Order and has been practising Buddhism for 35 years. He was a founder of the Manchester Buddhist Centre. He now lives in Salford, where he is a director of Breathworks - a social enterprise organization that helps people who live with chronic pain and other long-term health conditions. He also teaches at the Manchester Buddhist Centre and leads seminars and workshops at other Buddhist centres in the UK and abroad. He is the author of The Art of Reflection, published by Windhorse Publications.Sraddhapa is also a member of the Triratna Buddhist Order. He lives and works in Norway and teaches at the Oslo Buddhist Centre.
- Author(s)Ratnaguna Hennessey
- PublisherWindhorse Publications
- Date of Publication04/03/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationBirmingham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWindhorse Publications
- Weight590 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byShraddhapa Welsh
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.