All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHyperides was ranked in antiquity as second in greatness only to Demosthenes amongst the Ten Attic Orators. His execution in 322 BC for opposition to Macedonian rule left Dinarchus as the last of the Ten to survive. This book critically evaluates the speeches of both orators against Demosthenes and discusses Hyperides' funeral oration as an important historical source for understanding Athens in the last years of the reign of Alexander the Great. The history of the period of discussed in detail, as is the rhetorical style of the two orators. Amongst other distinctions this text provides the first commentary in English on Hyperides' two speeches. A Greek text of Dinarchus' and Hyperides' fragmented speeches is provided along with an English translation. The commentary is essentially historical, but some literary and philological points are also discussed.
- Author BiographyIan Worthington is Professor of Greek History at the University of Missouri-Columbia and the author and editor of books on Greek history and literature including A Historical Commentary on Dinarchus, Rhetoric and Conspiracy in Later Fourth-Century Athens.
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2000
- LanguageGreek, ancient (to 1453)
- Series TitleAris & Phillips Classical Texts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAris & Phillips Ltd
- Content Notetext, translation and commentary
- Weight381 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byIan Worthington
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.