All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionWhat did 'history' mean to the Greeks and the Romans? This volume traces the development of conceptions of history and its practice from Homer to the writers of the Roman Empire. It serves as an introduction to the great historians of the ancient world and contains sections on Herodotus, Thucydides, Xephon, Polybius, Livy, Tacitus, Suetonius and others. Each section is designed to be self-contained and may be read on its own; but links between the different historians, the ways in which they competed with and were influenced by one ather, are constantly brought out. The main ancient historians are household names but Duff stresses t only the ways in which they seem familiar but also those in which they are alien to today's readers; for the ancient historian was always concerned with improving the reader as much as informing him. As well as the most familiar names, Duff also includes in his account others whose work survives only in fragments, especially Greeks of the fourth century BC and the Hellenistic era, whose entire works were kwn to their Roman successors.
- Author BiographyTimothy E. Duff is Reader in Classics at the University of Reading. Heis author of The Greek and Roman Historians and Plutarch's Lives: Exploring Virtue and Vice along with numerous further papers on Plutarch.
- Author(s)Timothy Duff
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication27/06/2003
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleClassical World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Classical Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight169 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.