All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInsufficient attention has been given to the environment in Africana studies within the academy. In Greening Africana Studies, Rubin Patterson initiates an important conversation explaining why and how the gap between these two disciplines can and should be bridged. His comprehensive book calls for a green African transnationalism and focuses on the mission and major paradigms that identify the respective curriculum, research interests, and practices. In his original work, Patterson demonstrates the ways in which black communities are harmed by local environmental degradation and global climate change. He shows that many local unwanted land use sites (LULUs), such as brownfields and toxic release inventory facilities, are disproportionately located in close proximity to neighborhoods of color, but also to colleges and universities with Africana studies programs. Arguing that such communities are t aggressively engaging in environmental issues, Greening Africana Studies also provides examples of how Africana studies students as well as members of black communities can prepare for green careers.
- Author BiographyRubin Patterson is Chair of Sociology and Anthropology at Howard University in Washington, DC. He is also a Research Associate in the Department of Sociology at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. He is the editor of African Brain Circulation: Beyond the Drain-Gain Debate and served for ten years as the founding editor of the journal Perspectives on Global Development and Technology.
- Author(s)Rubin Patterson
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5346 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.