Gristle: From Factory Farms to Food Safety (Thinking Twice About the Meat We Eat) by The New Press (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $14.95+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMore than ever before meat is making headlines. Contamination cases are on the rise, obesity has become pandemic and industrial livestock farming is the cause of 20% of greenhouse emissions. It is little wonder that vegetarianism has moved from the fringes to the mainstream as evidence accumulates in favour of the many benefits of meatlessness. Multi-platinum musician Moby, one of the world's most famous vegans, brings together 10 leading foodies, doctors, politicians and business leaders to create a concise guide to making informed choices about meat consumption.
- Author BiographyMoby, one of the world s most critically acclaimed and commercially successful musicians, has been making music since he was 9 years old. He started out playing classical guitar and then went on to play with seminal Connecticut hardcore punk group The Vatican Commandoes when he was 13 before dj ing after leaving college and becoming a fixture in the late 80s New York house and hip-hop scenes. Moby released his first single in 1991 (listed as one of Rolling Stone s best records of all time) and has been making albums ever since. Known for his political and social activism, he has been a vegan for more than fifteen years. Moby lives in New York City. Miyun Park is the executive director of Global Animal Partnership. Previously she served as Vice President, Farm Animal Welfare, for the Humane Society of the United States and its global affiliate, Humane Society International (www.humanesociety.org). She has helped to bring greater interest in and policy changes for the well-being of animals raised for meat, eggs, and milk into corporate board rooms, international investment banks, multilateral organizations, courthouses, and legislatures. Miyun has spoken on behalf of farm animals throughout the United States and in China, India, Croatia, Korea, Belgium, Egypt, and Italy, and has published dozens of articles and reports on animal agriculture and farm animal welfare, including an essay in Peter Singer s In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave and a chapter in State of the Animals IV: 2007, co-authored with Dr. Andrea Gavinelli of the European Commission. She is a board member of Global Animal Partnership (www.URLTOCOME.org) and Farm Forward (www.farmforward.com), and serves on the editorial board of the Gateway to Farm Animal Welfare, a web portal created by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. She lives in Washington D.C. Brendan Brazier, two-time Canadian 50km Ultra Marathon Champion, raced Ironman triathlons professionally for seven years before becoming a bestselling author on performance nutrition (The Thrive Diet, Penguin 2007) and the creator of Vega (http: //sequelnaturals.com/vega), an award-winning line of whole food nutritional products. He is one of only a few professional athletes in the world whose diet is 100% plant-based. Named one of the 25 Most Fascinating Vegetarians by VegNews magazine and one of the Top 40 under 40 by Natural Food Merchandiser, Brendan has lectured on the role that food playsin our health and that of the environmentthroughout North America (www.brendanbrazier.com). Brendan splits his time between Los Angeles, CA and Vancouver, Canada. Lauren Bush is the chief executive officer and co-founder of FEED Projects (www.feedprojects.org), a charitable company with the mission of creating good products that help feed the world. Each FEED bag sold provides hungry children with school meals through the United Nations World Food Program (WFP). Lauren has been an Honorary Spokesperson for WFP since 2003, and has traveled to Guatemala, Cambodia, Lesotho, Sri Lanka, Chad, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Honduras to help in the fight against hunger and created the initial FEED 1 bag. As a model, Lauren has carved her own niche in the fashion world and was featured on the cover of various publications such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Tatler, W, and Town and Country. She now resides in New York City, where she works on FEED and other socially conscious and eco-friendly projects, such as a women s wear line she designed called Lauren Pierce, which utilizes environmentally-friendly and worldly fabrics. She lives in New York, NY. Christine Chavez once heard her grandfather Cesar Chavez say, We don t need perfect political systems. We need perfect participation. Taking his words to heart, she has come to master the art of modern-day campaigning and community organizing. For eight years, she served as the Political Director of the United Farm Workers Union (www.uf
- PublisherThe New Press
- Date of Publication05/02/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight148 g
- Width110 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byMoby
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.