All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough group theory is a mathematical subject, it is indispensable to many areas of modern theoretical physics, from atomic physics to condensed matter physics, particle physics to string theory. In particular, it is essential for an understanding of the fundamental forces. Yet until w, what has been missing is a modern, accessible, and self-contained textbook on the subject written especially for physicists. Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists fills this gap, providing a user-friendly and classroom-tested text that focuses on those aspects of group theory physicists most need to kw. From the basic intuitive tion of a group, A. Zee takes readers all the way up to how theories based on gauge groups could unify three of the four fundamental forces. He also includes a concise review of the linear algebra needed for group theory, making the book ideal for self-study. * Provides physicists with a modern and accessible introduction to group theory* Covers applications to various areas of physics, including field theory, particle physics, relativity, and much more* Topics include finite group and character tables; real, pseudoreal, and complex representations; Weyl, Dirac, and Majorana equations; the expanding universe and group theory; grand unification; and much more* The essential textbook for students and an invaluable resource for researchers* Features a brief, self-contained treatment of linear algebra* An online illustration package is available to professors* Solutions manual (available only to professors)
- Author BiographyA. Zee is professor of physics at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. His books include Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell, and Fearful Symmetry: The Search for Beauty in Modern Physics (all Princeton).
- Author(s)Anthony Zee
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- Series TitleIn a Nutshell
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note3 halftones. 60 line illus.
- Weight1485 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.