All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresenting groups in a formal, abstract algebraic manner is both useful and powerful, yet it avoids a fascinating geometric perspective on group theory - which is also useful and powerful, particularly in the study of infinite groups. This book presents the modern, geometric approach to group theory, in an accessible and engaging approach to the subject. Topics include group actions, the construction of Cayley graphs, and connections to formal language theory and geometry. Theorems are balanced by specific examples such as Baumslag-Solitar groups, the Lamplighter group and Thompson's group. Only exposure to undergraduate-level abstract algebra is presumed, and from that base the core techniques and theorems are developed and recent research is explored. Exercises and figures throughout the text encourage the development of geometric intuition. Ideal for advanced undergraduates looking to deepen their understanding of groups, this book will also be of interest to graduate students and researchers as a gentle introduction to geometric group theory.
- Author BiographyJohn Meier is a Professor in the Department of Mathematics at Lafayette College.
- Author(s)John Meier
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2008
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleLondon Mathematical Society Student Texts
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 73
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 table 175 exercises
- Weight530 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.