All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionFor the governments of many developing African nations, providing income security for the older population is difficult, particularly in Cameroon. This book uncovers the complex problem of pension deficits and difficulties providing welfare and other forms of social assistance. A vast majority of older people in Cameroon remain unassisted and battling to survive, with increasingly fragmented family and community oriented forms of support. As the older population increases, fundamental concerns remain: Is care provided only by family members sustainable? How does gender factor into this situation, and who bears the brunt of these problems? Borrowing from social capital theory, this book discusses how older people struggle to find new forms of social protection. This book articulates the view that older people display remarkable courage, resilience, and coping strategies which make them t a burden to society, but rather key players in the development process. It proposes achievable policy options that can make a difference in the lives of Cameroon's older citizens.
- Author BiographyCharles Che Fonchingong, Ph.D. is a senior lecturer in social work at Canterbury Christ Church University in Canterbury, England. A frontline practitioner, academic, and researcher, he has previously taught at the University of Buea, Cameroon.
- Author(s)Charles Che Fonchingong
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication11/12/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 33 tables
- Weight354 g
- Width151 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.