All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe authors of the best-selling Mental Wellness in Adults with Down Syndrome (9781890627652) turn their attention to the physical health of teens and adults with Down syndrome. The authors provide an invaluable insight into what health problems are more common in their patients, and how medical issues can present differently in people with Down syndrome. In a clear, empathetic style, they discuss how to promote a healthy lifestyle to prevent problems, and how to recognise health problems early on to ensure appropriate care and the best outcome. This is a resource families and caregivers can refer to over and over again, whether it s to find strategies to get a teen or adult to co-operate with treatment, or to consider if a symptom is being misdiagsed or misunderstood. Key topics include: Characteristics of Down syndrome that can affect health care; More commonly occurring medical issues; The connection between mental & physical health; Dealing with hospitalisations; Long term health and well being throughout the lifespan; Advance directives and end of life issues; Specific medical conditions (ranging from skin and nail problems, eye, se and throat issues, and cardiac concerns, to thyroid disorder, diabetes, Alzheimer disease, and sleep problems). For each condition, the authors discuss symptoms, the diagstic process, and treatment options. Real-life examples from the authors decades of experience help to illustrate how some medical problems can mistakenly be attributed to characteristics of Down syndrome. As the average person with Down syndrome lives considerably longer than in previous generations, this guide can also help families to kw what to expect during the ageing process.
- Author(s)Brian Chicoine,Dennis McGuire
- PublisherWoodbine House Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication13/10/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationBethesda, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWoodbine House Inc.,U.S.
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight682 g
- Width260 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.