All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionThis richly-illustrated, full-color guide to the geology of Mount Desert Island, Maine, the home of Acadia National Park, makes the spectacular scenery and rich geological history accessible to outdoor explorers, geology enthusiasts, and armchair travelers alike. The Guide grounds readers in basic geologic concepts before chronicling the unique history of the area from 550 million years ago to the present. Including information-packed self-guided trips with stops at 31 points of interest, this book is lavishly illustrated with 100 full color photos, maps, and illustrations that enhance appreciation of this national treasure. Duane and Ruth Braun relate the fascinating story of the region s formation, explaining how a slice of South America with Mount Desert Island bordering its southern side landed on the edge of North America to form Maine. Ather piece of South America collided with this landing, causing Mount Desert Island to erupt violently in a ten mile wide volcanic caldera. The Island then underwent a long period of stream erosion culminating in a period of glacial erosion to form the present landscape. The exceptional scenery that resulted has attracted visitors from around the world. This book unlocks the many secrets of the formations, offering a deeper understanding of the land and its origins.
- Author BiographyDuane Braun's interest in geology began at age eight, when he collected fossils on the Helderberg escarpment in upstate New York. He went on to earn a BS Geology at SUNY, Fredonia, and was awarded a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship. Braun holds an MS and a PhD in Geomorphology at John Hopkins University. From 1975 to 2008 he taught courses in environmental geology at Bloomsburg University. Ruth Braun holds an MA in Geology from John Hopkins University and taught geology and geography courses at Bloomsburg University. The two authors have offered courses specifically related to the geology of Mount Desert Island.
- Author(s)Duane Braun,Ruth Braun
- PublisherNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication13/06/2016
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Content Note150 colour photos
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.