All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA critical exploration of one of the most exciting, original and influential figures to emerge in contemporary film, Guillermo del Toro: Film as Alchemic Art is a major contribution to the analysis of Guillermo del Toro's cinematic output. It offers an in-depth discussion of del Toro's oeuvre and investigates key ideas, recurrent motifs and subtle links between his movies. The book explores the sources that del Toro draws upon and transforms in the creation of his rich and complex body of work. These include the literary, artistic and cinematic influences on films such as Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, Cros and Mimic, and the director's engagement with comic book culture in his two Hellboy films, Blade II and Pacific Rim. As well as offering extensive close textual analysis, the authors also consider del Toro's considerable impact on wider popular culture, including a discussion of his role as producer, ambassador for 'geek' culture and figurehead in new international cinema.
- Author BiographyKeith McDonald holds a PhD from Birkbeck College, University of London, UK, and is the Head of Programme for Media, Film Studies and Mass Communications at York St John University, UK. His research interests include popular culture, cult cinema and digital media. Roger Clark taught literature and film in UK Universities for over thirty years and has published on contemporary fiction and film. He was Senior Lecturer in Literature Studies at York St John University, UK, where he is currently Honorary Research Fellow in the Faculty of Arts.
- Author(s)Keith McDonald,Roger Clark
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication27/08/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic USA
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight333 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.