All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCaptain J.C. Bowen-Colthurst, originally from Cork, served with the British Army in the Boer War, in Tibet and in the Great War. Having been wounded, he returned to Ireland and was caught up in the 1916 rebellion where he was responsible for the deaths of six unarmed civilians, including the pacifist Francis Sheehy Skeffington. The resulting outrage was one of the key factors in turning the tide of Irish public opinion towards independence. Having been tried for murder, he was deemed 'guilty but insane' and spent eighteen months in Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum before being released under medical supervision for ather year. He was then allowed to travel to Canada on condition that he t return to Ireland. This has been portrayed as a perversion of justice perpetrated by the British authorities, but Taylor's unprecedented access to both army and Bowen-Colthurst's personal papers have revealed that he was probably suffering from what we w kw as PTSD. This book corrects many published errors, debunks some myths and reveals the personal side to a much-maligned historical character. The author has also worked with the family of both Bowen-Colthurst and Sheehy Skeffington, who have praised his unbiased research.
- Author BiographyJames W.Taylor is a retired civil servant, originally from Dublin but now living in Wexford. He is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and a trustee of the Royal Ulster Rifles Museum. He researches Irish involvement in the First World War and has published two books - 'The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War' and 'The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War' - to critical acclaim.
- Author(s)James W. Taylor
- PublisherThe Mercier Press Ltd
- Date of Publication03/06/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Mercier Press Ltd
- Weight340 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.