All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf there's one thing we learned coming up on Daufuskie, remembers Sallie Ann Robinson, it's the importance of good, home-cooked food. In this enchanting book, Robinson presents the delicious, robust dishes of her native Sea Islands and offers readers a taste of the unique, West African-influenced Gullah culture still found there. Living on a South Carolina island accessible only by boat, Daufuskie folk have traditionally relied on the bounty of fresh ingredients found on the land and in the waters that surround them. The 100 home-style dishes presented here include salads and side dishes, seafood, meat and game, rice, quick meals, breads, and desserts. Gregory Wrenn Smith's photographs evoke the sights and tastes of Daufuskie. Here are my family's recipes, writes Robinson, weaving warm memories of the people who made and loved these dishes and clear instructions for preparing them. She invites readers to share in the joys of Gullah home cooking the Daufuskie way, to make her family's recipes their own.
- Author BiographySallie Ann Robinson was born and raised on Daufuskie Island, South Carolina, and is dedicated to sharing the richness of her native Gullah culture. She now lives in Savannah, Georgia. Gregory Wrenn Smith is a photographer, writer, and editor who has worked to document the history and culture of the South Carolina Lowcountry. He lives in Bluffton, South Carolina.
- Author(s)Gregory Wrenn Smith,Sallie-Ann Robinson
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2003
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note28 photographs, map, index
- Weight313 g
- Width178 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byPat Conroy
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.