All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.17Trending at AU $52.09
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionKwn for their visibility and tendency to generate controversy, first-person shooter (FPS) games are cultural icons and powder-kegs in American society. Contributors will examine a range of FPS games such as the Doom, Half-Life, System Shock, Deus Ex, Halo, Medal of Hor and Call of Duty franchises. By applying and enriching a broad range of perspectives, this volume will address the cultural relevance and place of the genre in game studies, game theory and the cultures of game players. Guns, Grenades, and Grunts gathers scholars from all disciplines to bring the weight of contemporary social theory and media criticism to bear on the public controversy and intellectual investigation of first-person shooter games. As a genre, FPS games have helped shepherd the game industry from the early days of shareware distribution and underground gaming clans to contemporary multimillion dollar production budgets, Hollywood-style launches, downloadable content and worldwide professional gaming leagues. The FPS has been and will continue to be a staple of the game market.
- Author BiographyJoshua Call, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of English at Grand View University. Katie Whitlock, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Department of Theatre at California State University, Chico.
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication11/10/2012
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleApproaches to Digital Game Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 2
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Note25
- Weight621 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byGerald A. Voorhees,Joshua Call,Katie Whitlock
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.