All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlmost every anti-colonial struggle this century has been led by an army of guerrillas. No such struggle has succeeded without a very high degree of cooperation between guerrillas and the local peasantry. But what does cooperation between peasants and guerrillas really consist of? What effect does it have on the way they view the world for which they fight? In the struggle for Zimbabwe (1966-80), hundreds of thousands of peasants provided the guerrillas with practical help and support. But they went a good deal further. Throughout the country scores of spirit mediums, the religious leaders of Shona, gave active support to resistance. With their participation, the scale of the war expanded into an astonishing act of collaboration between ancestors and their descendants, the past and the present, the living and the dead. This book is a detailed study of one key operational zone in the Zambezi valley. It shows that to understand the meaning the war and independence have for the people of Zimbabwe themselves, we must take into account t only the nationalist guerrillas and politicians, the bearers of guns, but also the mediums of the spirits of the Shona royal ancestors, the bringers of rain.
- Author BiographyDavid Lan, playwright and social anthropologist, was born in South Africa in 1952 and has been based in England since 1972. He was awarded his doctorate by the London School of Economics (LSE). His plays for the theater include Painting a Wall, Red Earth, The Winter Dancers, Sergeant Ola and his Followers, and for television; The Sunday Judge.
- Author(s)David Lan
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication14/11/1985
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitlePerspectives on Southern Africa S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 38
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Noteillustrations, maps
- Weight49 g
- Width133 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.