All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo biographer could ask for a more colorful or difficult subject than the painter and revolutionary Gustave Courbet. One of the fathers of Realism, a style he created with his huge canvases of his birthplace in Ornans (After Dinner at Ornans, 1949; Funeral at Ornans, 1850, and The Stonebreakers, 1850), Courbet chose his subjects from ordinary life and portrayed them with the same monumental dignity as the great men of history. A man with big appetites for life, women, and politics, he frequently found himself at odds with French authorities, especially during the period of the Commune when he and his friends pulled down the Vendome Column. Impressionism and Modernism would be unthinkable without his fierce opposition to the academies of art. This biography by one of the most reliable students of French art paints a large and fascinating canvas, which Courbet dominates but never overwhelms.
- Author BiographyGerstle Mack wrote biographies of Toulouse-Lautrec and Cezanne, as well as other studies in French culture.
- Author(s)Gerstle Mack
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication01/08/1989
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDa Capo Press Inc
- Content Note60 illustrations
- Weight731 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.