All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis original and timely text is the first published research from the UK to address the neglected topic of the increasing (and largely enforced) settlement of Gypsies and Travellers in conventional housing. It highlights the complex and emergent tensions and dynamics inherent when policy and popular discourse combine to frame ethnic populations within a narrative of movement. The authors have extensive kwledge of the communities and experience as policy practitioners and researchers and consider the changing culture and dynamics experienced by ethnic Gypsies and Travellers. They explore the gendered social, health and ecomic impacts of settlement and demonstrate the tenacity of cultural formations and their adaptability in the face of policy-driven constraints that are antithetical to traditional lifestyles. The groundbreaking book is essential reading for policy makers; professionals and practitioners working with housed Gypsies and Travellers. It will also be of interest to sociologists, anthropologists, social policy and housing specialists and anybody interested in the experiences and responses of marginalized communities in urban and rural settings.Royalties for this book are to be divided equally between the Gypsy Council and Travellers Aid Trust.
- Author BiographyDavid Smith is a Principal Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Greenwich. His interests include the social impact of industrial and economic restructuring, historical and contemporary class structures and the position of marginalized groups. He was winner of the 2007 Social Policy Association 'Best New Publication' for his book 'On the margins on inclusion' (Policy Press). Margaret Greenfields is currently Director of the Institute for Diversity Research at Buckinghamshire New University. She has extensive experience of UK and international consultation, research and policy development on Gypsy, Traveller and Roma health and inclusion issues.
- Author(s)David M. Smith,Margaret Greenfields
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication05/07/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content Note7 black & white tables
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.