All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the role and responsibility of Romani Studies scholars, and how can those engaged in this field change the situation of Gypsies in the world? In what ways are Gypsy identities contextual, constructed and contested? What are the historical and contemporary challenges that influence the trans-national aspirations of the Gypsy emancipation movement? How do we understand and explain social and cultural boundaries, as they relate to self-consciousness and n-Romani societies? How much do we kw about the origins of the Gypsies, and what are the epistemological problems involved in the writing, and re-writing of Romani history? In Gypsies and the Problem of Identities , these and many other topics and themes are explored by a collection of distinguished international scholars. Amongst these contributors are both well-kwn names such as Thomas Acton, Ian Hancock, Elena Marushiakova and Vesselin Popov as well as researchers and activists from a newer generation in the field of Romani Studies. This publication is the first in English to highlight the situation of the Gypsies in Turkey and the Middle East.
- Author BiographyAdrian Marsh teaches Romani Studies, and has carried out research amongst Gypsy communities in Istanbul, Cairo, Cyprus and elsewhere in the region. Elin Strand is Director of the Roma Cultural Centre in Stockholm, Sweden, and teaches Romani Studies at the University College of Trollhattan (Sweden). .
- PublisherSwedish Research Institute in Istanbul
- Date of Publication22/02/2006
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleTransactions
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 17
- Place of PublicationIstanbul
- Country of PublicationTurkey
- ImprintSwedish Research Institute in Istanbul
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight472 g
- Width173 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAdrian Marsh,Elin Strand
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $60.99Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.23
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.