All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince its foundation in 1869 Nature has consistently been the pre-eminent English-language science journal, and for a period of over fifty years, H. G. Wells was a central feature within its pages. In H. G. Wells in Nature , John S. Partington collects all of Wells s writings in Nature, all of the reviews of his works published by Nature, and all of the journal s reportage that featured him. In addition to this core material, however, Partington has included the many responses that these essays and reviews received, thereby offering the reader a uniquely contextualised history of Wells s reception in Nature. From the first review Wells received in 1893 to his obituary tice in 1946, this volume presents a fascinating history of Wells s work and thought as filtered through the prism of Nature. During his long career other journal featured Wells within its pages so consistently, and with contributions by such eminent thinkers as Richard Gregory, E. Ray Lankester, J. S. Haldane, Lancelot Hogben, F. S. Marvin, A. Carr-Saunders, J. B. S. Haldane, Karl Pearson and Hilaire Belloc, Nature can truly be said to have played a key role in moulding opinion about Wells s work and thought. -John S Partington has gone some way to making this side of his oeuvre better kwn with a tightly-packed volume that collects together t only Wells's own contributions to the prestigious science magazine Nature over more than half a century, but also responses to those contributions, as well as reviews of his books, and other items which include his name. An excellent introduction sets the scene generally and lucid and thorough section commentaries outline what Wells and his reviewers were saying, and the debates that he generated.- (Tom Ruffles, NTHPosition)
- Author BiographyThe Editor: John S. Partington is the author and editor of several books on H. G. Wells, among them H. G. Wells's Fin-de-Siecle (2007). Between 1999 and 2008 he was the editor of The Wellsian, the journal of the H. G. Wells Society. He has also published on Arthur Conan Doyle, George Orwell, Woody Guthrie, Phoebe Cusden, Lorenzo Quelch and Paneuropa.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/07/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAlph: Arbeiten Zur Literarischen Phantastik / Alph: Approaches to Literary Phantasy
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note2, 2 fig.
- Weight690 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byDr. John S. Partington
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.