All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis cross-sectional study used a purposive sample of 379 high school students from fifteen urban and rural high schools in Guyana and assessed their HIV and AIDS kwledge and stigma-related attitudes, and the relationships among gender, age, religion, and race/ethnicity and HIV and AIDS kwledge. Most of the high school students displayed an overall moderate level of HIV and AIDS kwledge. The students understood the modes of HIV transmission; they recognized the symptoms of HIV and AIDS; nearly half of them believed that a blood dor was at risk of contracting HIV; and about one-fifth of the students embraced myths and misconceptions surrounding HIV and AIDS.
There was statistically significant difference in the kwledge scores of male and female students. Kwledge scores, nevertheless, differed significantly between the 13 to 15 and 16 to 18 age groups, and among the religious and ethnic groups. Stigma-related attitude scores did t differ significantly for gender and age, but differed significantly for religion and ethnicity among students. The study showed fissures in HIV/AIDS kwledge and substantial stigma-related attitudes. Limited understanding of the myths and misconceptions of HIV and AIDS demands a new focus on how HIV is t transmitted through moving beyond conventional strategies toward a social constructivist approach.
This book is essential reading for medical professionals, policymakers and educators throughout the Caribbean region.
- Author BiographyPrem Misir is Pro-Chancellor, University of Guyana. His many publications include Cultural Identity and Creolization in National Unity: The Multiethnic Caribbean and Leader Behavior and the Compliance Structure in Education: A Sociological Study of Ideology and Social Change in Guyana.
- Author(s)Prem Misir
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2014
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Other
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $121.00Trending at AU $127.32
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.29
- AU $37.01Trending at AU $41.28
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $28.19
- AU $34.06Trending at AU $35.04
- AU $35.56Trending at AU $40.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.