All listings for this product
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $84.36
- AU $24.03Trending at AU $39.58
- AU $40.28Trending at AU $43.27
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $12.61
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionStretching 73 miles from coast to coast and reaching a height of about 13 feet, Hadrian's Wall should have been counted as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Today, a World Heritage site, it stands as the most imposing monument rth of the Alps and attracts millions of visitors a year. Yet, despite all the excavation and research that has been carried out, this is the first detailed guide to be written for many years. Having first dealt with the practical questions of transport, clothing and maps, Guy de la Bedoyere explains why and how the Wall was constructed. With the help of almost 100 sketch maps, drawings and photographs, he then conducts the visitor, stage by stage, along the full length of the Wall, providing map locations, route and parking instructions, details of access and opening times, and a full account of everything that can be seen. He also covers the outpost forts, the forts and settlements to the rear (South Shields, Corbridge and Vindolanda) and the local museums which house so many of the artefacts discovered along the Wall. This indispensable guide-book concludes with a list of dates, a glossary and a summary of all the key sources.
- Author BiographyGuy de la Bedoyere is a historian and archaeologist who has written six books on Roman Britain (including The Finds of Roman Britain and The Buildings of Roman Britain) and has recently presented a BBC Radio 4 series on Roman Britain, of which one programme was exclusively devoted to Hadrian's Wall. He lives in Grantham, Lincolnshire.
- Author(s)Guy de la Bedoyere
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note40, maps
- Weight485 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.