Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.69
- AU $89.19Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.73
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.25
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- DescriptionA beautiful literary thriller (<i>Los Angeles Review of Books</i>) inspired by the shocking history of a secret CIA mind-control program, <i>Half World</i> is the perfect book for our present moment (<i>The Daily Beast</i>). In the 1950s the CIA began a decades-long clandestine operation, kwn as Project MKULTRA, in which unwitting American citizens were subjected to insidious drug and mind-control experiments. Haunted by these real-life events, acclaimed velist Scott O'Conr has crafted a riveting vel that vividly imagines the devastating emotional legacy of such a program through the eyes of one of its more unexpected victims. CIA analyst Henry March, an unassuming company man forced to spearhead MKULTRA's San Francisco branch, finds himself bridging an untenable divide between his devotion to his wife and children and the brutality of his daily task. Torn between duty and conscience, Henry March chooses neither, instead disappearing without a trace. He takes with him the evidence of his sins and thus becomes the deepest MKULTRA mystery of all. Twenty years later, as the country struggles under the weight of the Vietnam War, ather troubled young agent will risk everything to find Henry, protect his family, and piece together the staggering aftermath of the crimes before it's too late. Hailed as one to watch (<i>Los Angeles Times</i>) for his ability to make something beautiful of unspeakable matters (<i>The New York Times</i>), O'Conr has crafted a stunning, sensitive, and psychologically astute look at the depths to which a government will sink in service of its own power and the strength required of the human spirit to set itself free. Gorgeous and unflinching, <i>Half World</i> is both a page-turning drama and a transcendent celebration of our enduring capacity for hope.
- Author(s)Scott O'Connor
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication24/02/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Weight358 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.