Hampton Court Albums of Catherine the Great: Containing Drawings, Mainly of the Palace and its Surrounds, by Capability Brown's Draughtsman and Surveyor, John Spyers, Purchased by Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia by Mikhail Dedinkin, David Jacques, Mikhail Piotrovsky (Hardback, 2016)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo albums of drawings by Capability Brown's draughtsman, John Spyers, were recently discovered in the State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg and are here reproduced in their entirety. They are considered to be one of the most complete visual records of an historic landscape ever captured before photography. Purchased by Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia, in the early 1780s, they lay forgotten for over 200 years. The 149 drawings mainly depict Hampton Court Palace and its surrounding parks in the years when Capability Brown was Chief Gardener there (1764-83), appointed by George III. It has been suggested that Catherine used the albums as her inspiration for the landscaping of her new English Garden at Peterhof, outside St Petersburg.
- Author BiographyMikhail Dedinkin is deputy head of the Department of Western-European Art and curator of Drawings at the State Hermitage Museum, where he has worked for more than 30 years. In 2014 he curated the exhibition Her Imperial Majesty's Hermitage, dedicated to the 250th anniversary of Catherine the Great's museum. Dr David Jacques is a consultant, lecturer and writer on historic landscapes, parks and gardens. He was the first Inspector of Historic Parks and Gardens at English Heritage from 1987 to 1993, and has been advising on the gardens at Hampton Court since being leader of the landscape team that restored the Privy Garden in 1995. He is the author of several publications, including Georgian Gardens: Reign of Nature.
- Author(s)David Jacques,Mikhail Dedinkin,Mikhail Piotrovsky
- Date of Publication25/04/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight1250 g
- Width230 mm
- Height320 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.