All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis practical book covers the complex issues involved in assessment procedures and care management. It is addressed to care managers and to social care providers, including staff at all levels. It includes sample forms and many examples, and explains in clear terms the implications of various approaches. The reader is shown t only how best to carry out assessments, but what is the broader meaning and context of specific assessment tasks. The first chapter explores the difficulties of maintaining the ideals of care in the community, namely, a needs-led person-centred approach, in the face of resource and procedural constraints. It looks at such key current issues as quality of life criteria and the changing role of local authority services from main provider of facilities to enabler or facilitator. Traditional assessment approaches are considered in later chapters as well as techniques for costing services and issues arising from a traditional 'unit' costs approach; an alternative 'real costs' procedure is recommended and explained, with examples. In the final chapter, care management issues are summarised for people with 'very special needs', including adults with profound intellectual and physical disabilities, people with multiple disabilities, potentially life-threatening illnesses or challenging behaviour, and people with serious addictions. The book is informed by recent research, including major research funded by the Scottish Office which focused on adults with learning difficulties. Implications are also drawn from the authors' broader experiences of working with other client groups.
- Author BiographyDr Philip Seed and Gillian Kaye both have wide previous experience in both residential and field social work in voluntary and statutory settings. Philip Seed is Honorary Lecturer at the University of Dundee, Department of Social Work. Gillian Kaye's professional work has included residential care of emotionally disturbed children and teenagers at Barnado's, social work in a local authority setting, and participation in analysis of social work research at Dundee University.
- Author(s)Gillian Kaye,Philip Seed
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication01/03/1994
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight281 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.