All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe U.S. Census Bureau reports particular demographic, social, and health conditions for African Americans. Population-wide, the African American community has a higher mortality rate from cancer and diabetes than the rest of the population, a higher infant mortality rate, and a lower vaccination rate for influenza and pneumonia. The contributions to this comprehensive Handbook of African American Health uncover the specific demographic conditions of the African American population, and outline social interventions for both physical and mental health at the primary, secondary, and tertiary levels. The 26 contributions to this comprehensive volume cover interventions for a diverse range of health problems, including:-obesity and cardiovascular disease-diabetes-asthma and other respiratory diseases-smoking, alcohol, and recreational drug abuse-risky sexual behaviors-cancer screening, prevention, and survivorship-infant mortality-community and interpersonal violence-mental health. From a healthcare standpoint, it also examines specific interventions for treatment compliance, health care access, and community collaborations. This volume will be an invaluable resource for researchers in medical sociology, mental health studies, public health, health behavior, and African American studies.
- Author BiographyDr. Anthony Lemelle teaches courses at the doctoral level including Racial and Cultural Minorities, Black Americans, and The Sociology of AIDS at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY. At the master's level, Professor Lemelle teaches the course, Race and Crime, and on the undergraduate level, he teaches American Minority Groups, The Black Family, Study Abroad in Ghana, Sex, Marriage, and Healthcare in the Afro World, HIV/AIDS in the Afro World. He is the editor of the Journal of African American Studies and is widely published in the areas of African American culture, black masculinity and African Americans and HIV/AIDS.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication04/08/2011
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight753 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAnthony J. Lemelle,Sandra E. Taylor,Sandra Taylor,Wornie L. Reed
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.