All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis timely desk reference focuses on marine-derived bioactive substances which have biological, medical and industrial applications. The medicinal value of these marine natural products are assessed and discussed. Their function as a new and important resource in vel, anticancer drug discovery research is also presented in international contributions from several research groups. For example, the potential role of Spongistatin, Apratoxin A, Eribulin mesylate, phlorotannins, fucoidan, as anticancer agents is explained. The mechanism of action of bioactive compounds present in marine algae, bacteria, fungus, sponges, seaweeds and other marine animals and plants are illustrated via several mechanisms. In addition, this handbook lists various compounds that are active candidates in chemoprevention and their target actions. The handbook also places into context the demand for anticancer nutraceuticals and their use as potential anti-cancer pharmaceuticals and medicines. This study of advanced and future types of natural compounds from marine sources is written to facilitate the understanding of Biotechlogy and its application to marine natural product drug discovery research.
- Author BiographyProfessor Se-Kwon Kim, PhD, currently serves as a Senior Professor in the Department of Chemistry and the director of the Marine Bioprocess Research Center (MBPRC) at Pukyong National University in the Republic of Korea. He received his BSc, MSc and PhD from the Pukyong National University and joined as a faculty member. He has previously served as a scientist in the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Illinois (1988-1989) and was a visiting scientist at the Memorial University of Newfoundland in Canada (1999-2000). Professor Se-Kwon Kim was president of the Korean Society of Chitin and Chitosan (1986-1990) and the Korean Society of Marine Biotechnology (2006-2007). He was also the chairman for the 7th Asia-Pacific Chitin and Chitosan Symposium, which was held in South Korea in 2006. He is one of the board members of the International Society of Marine Biotechnology and the International Society for Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods. Moreover, he was the editor in chief of the Korean Journal of Life Sciences (1995-1997), the Korean Journal of Fisheries Science and Technology (2006-2007) and the Korean Journal of Marine Bioscience and Biotechnology (2006-present). His research has been credited with the best paper award from the American Oil Chemist's Society (AOCS) and the Korean Society of Fisheries Science and Technology in 2002. Professor Se-Kwon Kim's major research interests are investigation and development of bioactive substances derived from marine organisms and their application in oriental medicine, nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals via marine bioprocessing and mass- production technologies. He has also conducted research on the development of bioactive materials from marine organisms for applications in oriental medicine, cosmeceuticals and nutraceuticals. To date, he has authored over 500 research papers and holds 110 patents. In addition, he has written or edited more than 40 books.
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication28/11/2014
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note30 black & white illustrations, 50 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight1394 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited bySe-Kwon Kim
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.