All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDisasters both natural and human-induced are leading to spiralling costs in terms of human lives, lost livelihoods and damaged assets and businesses. Yet these consequences and the financial and human crises that follow catastrophes can often be traced to policies unsuited to the emerging scales of the problems they confront, and the lack of institutional capacity to implement planning and prevention or to manage disasters. This book seeks to overcome this mismatch and to guide development of a more strategic policy and institutional framework. This updated and revised second edition includes new coverage of climate change adaptation, which has rapidly become central to disaster and emergency planning and management. This is an essential handbook for practitioners across the world seeking to improve the quality, robustness and capacity of their disaster management mechanisms.
- Author BiographyJohn Handmer is Innovation Professor at RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, Adjunct Professor at The Fenner School of Environment and Society, The Australian National University, and Visiting Professor, Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University, UK. Stephen Dovers is Professor and Director at The Fenner School of Environment and Society, The Australian National University and Adjunct Professorial Research Fellow, Research Institute for Environment and Livelihoods, Charles Darwin University, Australia. Both authors are affiliated with the Bushfire Cooperative Research Centre in Australia.
- Author(s)John W. Handmer,Stephen Dovers
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication04/01/2013
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEarthscan Ltd
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 15 black & white tables, 5 black & white line drawings
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.