All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis handbook comprehensively presents the current status of themanufacturing of the most important meat products. Editor andrewned meat expert Fidel Toldra heads an internationalcollection of meat scientists who have contributed to thisessential reference book.
Coverage is divided into three parts. Part one, Techlogies,begins with discussions on meat chemistry, biochemistry and qualityand then provides background information on main techlogiesinvolved in the processing of meat, such as freezing, cooking,smoking, fermentation, emulsification, drying and curing. Alsoincluded are key chapters on packaging, spoilage prevention andplant cleaning and sanitation.
Part two, Products, is focused on the description of themanufacture of the most important products, including cooked anddry-cured hams, cooked and fermented sausages, bacon, canned meat,pate, restructured meats and functional meat products. Eachchapter addresses raw materials, ingredients and additives,processing techlogy, main types of products, production data,particular characteristics and sensory aspects, and futuretrends.
Part three, Controls, offers current approaches for the controlof the quality and safety of manufactured meat products, withcoverage including sensory evaluation; chemical and biologicalhazards including GMOs; HACCP; and quality assurance.
This book is an invaluable resource for all meat scientists,meat processors, R&D professionals and product developers.
Key features: * Unparalleled international expertise of editor and contributingauthors * Addresses the state of the art of manufacturing the mostimportant meat products * Special focus on approaches to control the safety and qualityof processed meats * Extensive coverage of production techlogies, sanitation,packaging and sensory evaluation
- Author BiographyFidel Toldra, Ph.D., is a Research Professor and Head of the Meat Science Laboratory, Instituto de Agroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos (CSIC), Spain. Dr. Toldra has edited and/or authored more than ten books in food chemistry and food biochemistry, and meat and poultry processing including Handbook of Fermented Meat and Poultry, Advances in Food Diagnostics and Dry-cured Meat Products.
- PublisherIowa State University Press
- Date of Publication19/03/2010
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationArnes, AI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIowa State University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1236 g
- Width203 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byFidel Toldra
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63