All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book to offer a complete spectrum of the role that operations research has played and can play in the improvement of North American freight railroads. It explores how decisions are made at railroads, contains examples of the mathematical programming formulations to the complex problems, and provides insights into real-world applications. The handbook is divided into eleven chapters, covering topics including scheduling problems, empty railcar distribution, and intermodal rail. These topics have been specifically selected to offer a thorough examination of the application of operations research at freight railroads. The chapters are written by recognized award-winning scholars and practitioners with a deep kwledge and understanding of their specific topics. The Handbook of Operations Research Applications at Railroads is an ideal resource for academics, experienced researchers, and consultants in the field.
- Author BiographyDr. Bruce Patty is the Vice President of Transportation Analytics at Veritec Solutions. For over 25 years, Dr. Patty has provided guidance and insights for leading transportation companies such as American Airlines, CSX Transportation, and Pacer Stacktrain. His academic background in Network Optimization and his experience in passenger and freight transportation has provided Dr. Patty with considerable expertise regarding a wide range of issues in these industries. While at American Airlines, Bruce developed their pioneering automated flight routing tool that scheduled aircraft so that they satisfied overnight maintenance requirements. He participated on an Edelman Prize finalist team in the area of Crew Scheduling and then led rail consulting projects at Conrail. He went on from AA to be a Director of Operations Research at CSX Transportation where he developed workload planning models of classification yards. Dr. Patty left CSX to develop the transportation practice at MCGI, where he led or participated on consulting engagements with companies such as Norfolk Southern, CSX, BAX Global, and Delta Air Lines. Prior to joining Veritec, Bruce was the AVP of Equipment Strategy and Planning at Pacer Stacktrain. As part of his responsibilities, he managed an annual budget of $70 million, providing containers and chassis for use by Pacer's customers. He pioneered the use of analytics to manage the chassis fleet and keep the chassis-to-container ratio at an industry-wide low. Dr. Patty received his BS in Systems Engineering from the University of Arizona, and then a MS and Ph.D. in Operations Research from Southern Methodist University. He served on the faculty at the University of Southern California, has served on the Board of Directors for INFORMS, and has published several papers and presented at a multitude of conferences. He has lived in Marin County, California with his wife, Paula, for over 20 years and enjoys travel, golf, and relentlessly rooting on the University of Arizona Wildcats.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectTransport Technology
- Series TitleInternational Series in Operations Research & Management Science
- Series Part/Volume Number222
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note28 black & white illustrations, 34 colour illustrations, 28 black & white tables, 6 colour tables, biography
- Weight625 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byBruce W. Patty
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.53
- AU $21.07Trending at AU $22.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.