All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Handbook of the Sociology of Medical Education provides a contemporary introduction to this classic area of sociology by examining the social origin and implications of the epistemological, organizational and demographic challenges facing medical education in the twenty-first century. Beginning with reflections on the historical and theoretical foundations of the sociology of medical education, the collection then focuses on current issues affecting medical students, the profession and the faculty, before exploring medical education in different national contexts. Leading sociologists analyze: the intersection of medical education and social structures such as gender, ethnicity and disability; the effect of changes in medical practice, such as the emergence of evidence-based medicine, on medical education; and the ongoing debates surrounding the form and content of medical curricula. By examining applied problems within a framework which draws from social theorists such as Pierre Bourdieu, this new collection suggests future directions for the sociological study of medical education and for medical education itself.
- Author BiographyCaragh Brosnan is a Research Associate in the Centre for Biomedicine and Society at King's College London. She completed her doctoral thesis, 'The Sociology of Medical Education: the struggle for legitimate knowledge in two English medical schools', at the University of Cambridge in 2007. Bryan S. Turner was Professor of Sociology at the University of Cambridge (1998-2005) and at the National University of Singapore (2005-2009). He is currently the Alona Evans Distinguished Visiting Professor of Sociology at Wellesley College, US. He has published The New Medical Sociology (2004) and The Body and Society (2008).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/07/2009
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byCaragh Brosnan,Professor Bryan S. Turner
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.