All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA droll biography reveals the high tes and the low tes in the life of the world s foremost composer of Baroque music. This is t your usual picture book biography. Nor was George Frideric Handel your everyday eighteenth-century composer. This witty and yet rigorously researched and accessible biography captures Handel s essential spirit from a child who smuggled a clavichord into the attic to play music against his father s orders to a young man who imported forty-five pounds of mountain sw to chill wine for a gala as well as his remarkable, enduring musical triumphs. But M. T. Anderson also shows Handel s struggles and chronicles the illness, ill fortune, and despair that led to his greatest achievement, the Messiah. With impeccable detail and a wink at the reader, Kevin Hawkes illustrates the singular story of Handel and the music through which he lives on.
- Author BiographyM. T. Anderson is the author of the young adult novels THIRSTY and BURGER WUSS and a faculty member of Vermont College s MFA Program in Writing for Children. About HANDEL, WHO KNEW WHAT HE LIKED, he says, As a child, I loved Handel s music, because it seemed to suggest that humans are a noble race, full of reason and gentility. Then I got to high school. Kevin Hawkes is the illustrator of a number of popular books for children, including WESLANDIA, THE LIBRARIAN WHO MEASURED THE EARTH, MARVEN OF THE GREAT NORTH WOODS, and PAINTING THE WIND: A STORY OF VINCENT VAN GOGH. He says, I loved illustrating this book, though it was quite a challenge Handel s music is so beautiful and powerful, and his life was so complex. I hope I ve done him justice.
- Author(s)M T Anderson
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Series TitleCandlewick Biographies
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width152 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Illustrator(s)Kevin Hawkes
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Sewn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.