All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1916 George Harrap published an edition of The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen which included specially commissioned illustrations from a new young Irish illustrator, Harry Clarke. Although previously commissioned to provide illustrations for two other publishing projects, this was the first time Clarke's work had appeared in print. His talent was quickly ackwledged and he became recognised as one of the key illustrators during the golden age of gift-book illustration. In all, he created 16 full-colour and 24 mochrome illustrations for this edition. Although many of these have been acquired by the National Gallery of Ireland, they will t be familiar to many modern readers. For this new collection, twenty of Andersen's best loved tales have been re-written and with Clarke's fabulous illustrations will create a wonderful gift book for children young and old.
- Author BiographyAlthough now best known for his stained glass work, Harry Clarke (1889-1931) first found fame as a book illustrator. His edition of The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen was followed by illustrated editions of Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination, The Years at the Spring, Charles Perrault's Fairy Tales of Perrault, and Goethe's Faust.
- Author(s)Hans Christian Andersen
- Date of Publication16/09/2011
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintGill & Macmillan Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight997 g
- Width200 mm
- Height262 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Illustrator(s)Harry Clarke
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $247.00Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $49.62Trending at AU $52.62
- AU $31.61Trending at AU $38.35
- AU $43.23Trending at AU $43.98
- AU $27.37Trending at AU $30.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.