All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHans-Georg Gadamer's theory of hermeneutics is one of the most important modern theories of interpretation and understanding, and at its heart is the experience of reading literature. In this clear and comprehensive guide to Gadamer's thought, Karl Simms: * presents an overview of Gadamer's life and works, outlining his importance to hermeneutic theory and its place in literary studies * explains and puts into context his key ideas, including 'dialogue', 'phronesis', 'play', 'tradition', and 'horizon' * shows how Gadamer's ideas have been influential in the interpretation of literary texts * explains Gadamer's debates with key contemporaries and successors, such as Habermas, Ricoeur and Derrida * provides detailed suggestions for further reading. With a significance that crosses disciplinary boundaries from cultural studies, literary theory and philosophy through to history, music and fine arts, Gadamer's pioneering work on hermeneutic theory remains of crucial importance to the study of texts in the humanities.
- Author BiographyKarl Simms is Senior Lecturer in English at the University of Liverpool, UK. His other books include the Routledge Critical Thinkers Paul Ricoeur.
- Author(s)Karl Simms
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- Series TitleRoutledge Critical Thinkers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight226 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.