All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHappy Hooking - The Art of Anchoring is a very readable book on boat anchoring. It is loaded with valuable information on anchoring tackle, anchoring technique, tying up and rafting, anchoring etiquette, as well as the occasional anecdote - simply stated a must have for any boater or sailor! The second expanded edition of Happy Hooking - the Art of Anchoring features: More gear More photos More illustrations More independent reviews Experience from both sides of the Atlantic Personal anecdotes based on many thousands of miles of sailing and countless times anchoring Unless you are far offshore, at some point or ather you are going to need to 'park' your boat. Just like kwing how to stop your car before you start is perhaps the most important part of driving, we feel that anchoring is perhaps the most important skill you can and should acquire in boating. Anchoring a boat can be a lovely dance in a harbor, or a painful and often embarrassing display of Homo sapiens' inability to plan or communicate. We will endeavor to help you find a combination of tackle and technique best suited for your circumstances when anchoring your vessel. By outlining how different anchors work, the pluses and minuses of different adjunctive pieces of equipment, the current thinking about how to deploy this equipment, and how to select an anchorage, we hope you will be armed with eugh information to make some informed decisions about what might work best for you. If you could take only one piece of advice from these pages with you on your travels, perhaps you will remember what Tommy Moran, an old salt in the West of Ireland, advised time and again: Anchor as though you plan to stay for weeks, even if you intend to leave in an hour. Happy Hooking! EDITORIAL REVIEWS: Ocean Cruising Club The definitive textbook on the subject. Cruising Club of America Happy Hooking is well organized, well illustrated, and easy to read. It should be mandatory reading for vice sailors and charter operators would do well to place copies throughout their fleet. This would be an excellent gift to up-and-coming boaters. Captain John Jamieson, Author of Skipper Tips and Seamanship Secrets The single most important guide to anchoring for the modern sailor of the 21st century. Easy to read and filled with super clear illustrations and drawings. Add Happy Hooking-The Art of Anchoring to your onboard list of must have guides for safe anchoring-wherever in the world you choose to cruise! SailWorld.com Might be compulsory reading for the new sailor. Even the most experienced will find much new material here. Latitudes & Attitudes Seafaring This is the bible for all things anchoring. Irish Cruising Club It is hard to imagine a more comprensive study of the topic. This is a remarkably easy book to read.
- Author BiographyAlex and Daria Blackwell are lifelong sailors and passionate cruisers. They have spent years cruising the coasts of the Americas and Europe, as well as the Bahamas, the Caribbean islands, and the Atlantic islands, most recently double-handing on their vintage Bowman 57-foot ketch, Aleria, on three Atlantic crossings. Alex holds a 100 ton USCG Commercial Master's license with sailing and towing endorsements. Daria holds a USCG OUPV Captain's license.
- Author(s)Capt Alex Blackwell
- PublisherWhite Seahorse, Incorporated
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectWater Sports
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWhite Seahorse, Incorporated
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight472 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.