All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionLucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BCE-65 CE) was a Roman Stoic philosopher, dramatist, statesman, and advisor to the emperor Nero, all during the Silver Age of Latin literature. The Complete Works of Lucius Annaeus Seneca is a fresh and compelling series of new English-language translations of his works in eight accessible volumes. Edited by Elizabeth Asmis, Shadi Bartsch, and Martha C. Nussbaum, this engaging collection helps restore Seneca--whose works have been highly praised by modern authors from Desiderius Erasmus to Ralph Waldo Emerson--to his rightful place among the classical writers most widely studied in the humanities. Hardship and Happiness collects a range of essays intended to instruct, from consolations--works that offer comfort to someone who has suffered a personal loss--to pieces on how to achieve happiness or tranquility in the face of a difficult world. Expertly translated, the essays will be read and used by undergraduate philosophy students and experienced scholars alike.
- Author BiographyElaine Fantham was the Giger Professor of Latin at Princeton University from 1986 to 1999. She has written many books and commentaries on Latin literature, including Seneca's Troades. Harry M. Hine is professor emeritus in the School of Classics at the University of St Andrews in Scotland and the translator of Seneca's Natural Questions, also in the series. James Ker is associate professor of classical studies at the University of Pennsylvania and the editor of A Seneca Reader: Selections from Prose and Tragedy. Gareth D. Williams is the Violin Family Professor of Classics at Columbia University and the author of many books, including The Cosmic Viewpoint: A Study of Seneca's Natural Questions.
- Author(s)Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication22/03/2016
- Series TitleThe Complete Works of Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byElaine Fatham,Harry M. Hine,James Ker,Gareth D. Williams
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.