Harmony in Pianoforte-Study a Book for the Individual Student (Classic Reprint) by Ernest Fowles (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.41Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from Harmony in Piaforte-Study a Book for the Individual Student A large part of the effect of music is concerned with harmony: since this is so, it behooves every music-lover, listener as well as player, to cultivate the sense which recognizes the harmonic basis upon which virtually every musical progression is founded. The mental necessities which underlie the study of harmony include: - (1) A kwledge of the properties of chords and of the sounds generally by which they are accompanied.(2) A keen aural grasp of any possible combination of sounds that may be used in music.(3) The power to conceive harmonic progressions unaided by any other medium than that afforded by the trained inward sense.(4) The ability spontaneously to express these combinations and progressions at the keyboard.(5) The facility to express the same combinations and progressions upon paper. The older methods of teaching the subject - w rightly discredited - laid undue emphasis upon (1) and (5). A perception of the importance of (2) prepared the way for a recognition of the claims of (3), and contributed indirectly to the great advance in the expression of harmonic thought upon paper which followed the adoption of sane aural methods. But however thorough may be the method of (5), it is too cumbrous, too lacking in spontaneity to respond immediately to the conceptions of the inward sense. It is for this reason that (4) assumes a role of infinite importance in dealing with what may be termed the synthetic aspect of harmony. It is the tendency of those whose harmonic discipline has been confined to paper work to regard the chord solely from that particular aspect so aptly described by the French expression, harmonie plaquee. The tritest of examinations will prove that the presentation of harmony in this form is comparatively rare in instrumental music, which inherently demands a large share of that phase of harmonic expression kwn as harmonie figuree. Yet both types may frequently be observed within the same work. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Ernest Fowles
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight154 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $22.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.