All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.46
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.66
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.19
- AU $2.99Trending at AU $5.60
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.47
- AU $12.54Trending at AU $19.72
About this product
- DescriptionIt's 1863. Harriet Tubman is facing one of the biggest--and most dangerous-- challenges of her life. She has survived her master's lash, escaped from slavery, and risked her life countless times to lead runaway slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad. Now she has a new role--that of Union spy! The outcome of a secret night raid deep into Confederate territory depends on the accuracy of the intelligence she and other black spies have gathered. Success will mean freedom for hundreds of slaves. Failure will mean death by hanging. You are about to enter the undercover world of African-American spies--enslaved and free--risking everything in the name of freedom. How were the Underground Railroad and slave songs used to pass secret messages? What were contrabands and Black Dispatches? What did Harriet have in common with the Secret Six and a maidservant in the home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis? You'll discover these answers and more as the action unfolds. Thomas B. Allen, author of the award-winning George Washington, Spymaster, has sifted through military and intelligence archives, diaries, and little-kwn memoirs from ex-slaves to bring to light new facts about the role Harriet and other black spies played in helping the Union win the war. This detailed account combined with powerful archival images supplemented with woodcuts by Carla Bauer, maps, a time line, foottes, and extensive quote sources make this incredibly detailed account an excellent resource for report writing as well as an exciting true-life adventure. National Geographic supports K-12 educators with ELA Common Core Resources.Visit www.natgeoed.org/commoncore for more information.
- Author BiographyThomas B. Allen is the author of the award-winning book, George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War. He is the co-author with Norman Polmar of Spy Book: The Encyclopedia of Espionage; Code-name Downfall; and Merchants of Treason, a report on modern espionage. He is also the co-author, with Paul Dickson, of The Bonus Army. Tom Allen lives in Bethesda, Maryland. You can visit him on the Web at www.tballen.com. Carla Bauer is a woodcut illustrator whose work has been exhibited in the National Academy of Design. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Thomas B. Allen
- PublisherNational Geographic Books
- Date of Publication31/10/2006
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Geographic Books
- Out-of-print date08/11/2011
- Content Noteb&w
- Weight286 g
- Width138 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.