All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn 19 June 1953, Harry Truman got up early, packed the trunk of his Chrysler New Yorker, and did something other former president has done before or since: he hit the road. No Secret Service protection. No travelling press. Just Harry and his childhood sweetheart Bess, off to visit old friends, take in a Broadway play, celebrate their wedding anniversary in the Big Apple, and blow a bit of the money he'd just received to write his memoirs. Hopefully incognito. In this lively history, author Matthew Algeo meticulously details how Truman's plan to blend in went wonderfully awry. Fellow diners, bellhops, cabbies, squealing teenagers at a Future Homemakers of America convention, and one very by-the-book Pennsylvania state trooper all unkwingly conspired to blow his cover. Algeo revisits the Trumans' route, staying at the same hotels and eating at the same diners, and takes readers on brief detours into topics such as the post-war American auto industry, McCarthyism, the nation's highway system, and the decline of Main Street America. By the end of the 2,500-mile journey, you will have a new and heartfelt appreciation for America's last citizen-president.
- Author BiographyMatthew Algeo is an award-winning journalist who has reported from three continents for public radio s All Things Considered, Marketplace, and Morning Edition. He is the author of The President Is a Sick Man and Last Team Standing.
- Author(s)Matthew Algeo
- PublisherZephyr Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationTuscan
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZephyr Press
- Content Noteblack & white halftones, maps
- Weight385 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.