All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book critically examines a wide range of contemporary literary scandals in order to identify the cultural and literary anxieties revealed by controversial works. It explores how scandal predominantly emerges in relation to texts which offer challenging representations concerning children, women, sexuality, religion and authenticity, and how literary controversies bring to the surface a series of concerns about the complex construction of identity, history and reality. Including works such as J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series (1996-2007), Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho (1991), James Frey's A Million Little Pieces (2003), Misha Defonseca's Misha: A Memoire of the Holocaust (1997), Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses (1988) and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (1995-2000), the author analyses a broad spectrum of texts in order to examine why books continue to provoke public debate and outrage, and what the arguments surrounding scandalous works suggest about literature and the world.
- Author BiographyAlyson Miller has a PhD in literary studies from Deakin University, where she is a lecturer in the School of Communication and Creative Arts. Her creative and critical works have been published in international and Australian journals. Her research examines scandalous literature, identity politics, and anxieties relating to gender and sexuality.
- Author(s)Alyson Miller
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication29/04/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight340 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.