Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVaclav Havel was one of the most prominent figures of the twentieth century: icoclast and intellectual, rewned playwright turned political dissident, president of a united then divided nation, and dedicated human rights activist. Written by Michael ZantovskyHavel s former press secretary, advisor, and longtime friend Havel: A Life presents a revelatory portrait of this giant among men and the turbulent times through which he prevailed. Havel s lifelong perspective as an outsider began with his privileged childhood in Prague and his family s blacklisted status following the Communist coup of 1948. This feeling of being outcast fueled his career as an essayist and dramatist, writing absurdist plays as social commentary. His involvement during the Prague Spring and his leadership of Charter 77, his unflagging belief in the power of the powerless, and his galvanizing personality catapulted Havel into a pivotal role as the leader of the Velvet Revolution in 1989. Although Havel was a courageous visionary, he was also a man of great contradictions, wracked with doubt and self-criticism. But he always remained true to himself. Over the next thirteen years, he continued to break through international barriers as the last president of Czechoslovakia and the first president of the Czech Republic.
- Author BiographyMichael Zantovsky is the current Czech ambassador to the Court of St. James and president of the Aspen Institute Prague. He was among the founding members of the movement that coordinated the overthrow of the Communist regime. In January 1990 he became the spokesman, press secretary, and advisor to President Vaclav Havel. He was the later the Czech ambassador to Washington and Tel Aviv. He combined a career in politics and the foreign service with work as author and translator into Czech many contemporary British and American writers.
- Author(s)Michael Zantovsky
- PublisherGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width165 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.