All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionHaven of Liberty chronicles the arrival of the first Jews to New York in 1654 and highlights the role of republicanism in shaping their identity and institutions. Rock follows the Jews of NewYork through the Dutch and British colonial eras, the American Revolution and early republic, and the antebellum years, ending with a path-breaking account of their outlook and behavior during the Civil War. Overcoming significant barriers, these courageous men and women laid the foundations for one of the world's foremost Jewish cities.
- Author BiographyHoward B. Rock is a Professor of History Emeritus at Florida International University. He is winner of the 2012 Everett Family Foundation Jewish Book of the Year Award, National Jewish Book Council and the 2012 Runner-Up for the Dixon Ryan Manuscript Award presented by the New York Historical Association for Haven of Liberty: New York Jews in the New World, 1654-1865.
- Author(s)Howard B. Rock
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication08/01/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCity of Promises
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.