All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a new vision, based on sound science and ethics of compassion, which connects the healing of animals with Earth care and the human rights and health care revolution whose time has come. The well-being of animals, wild and domesticated, and the health of the natural environment are found to be inseparable from the health and well-being, and the ultimate fate of our own kith and kin. Written by a veterinarian with doctoral degrees in medicine and animal behavior, and with a lifetime's experience working in animal health, welfare and environmental protection, including agricultural and food safety and public health, this book confronts and challenges the dominant world-view wherein the art and science of animal and human medicine are practiced. Conventional treatments and attitudes toward animals are examined, and the benefits of integrative and preventive medicine in improving the care and health of companion, farmed and wild animals are reviewed. The vision of One Health is framed from a reconsidered science and a renewed understanding of empathy. This is a book for all who care for animals, starting with pet owners seeking to be more informed, professional animal care-providers, including farmers, veterinarians, and veterinary and animal science students, and people who appreciate and respect wild animals. It offers direction and inspiration toward One Health.
- Author BiographyMichael W. Fox was born and educated in the UK, earning his veterinary degree on a Derbyshire County Exhibition Scholarship studying at the Royal Veterinary College, London, from where he graduated in 1962, with honors in pathology and animal husbandry. He was awarded the gold medal and Fellowship of the Veterinary Medical Association by the Royal Veterinary College for his research report on Diseases of the Sheep-dog in Relation to Management and Nutrition. His subsequent research into animal behavior and development in the U.S. resulted in a dissertation entitled Integrative Development of the Brain and Behavior in the Dog, (published in 1971 by the University of Chicago Press), that earned a Ph.D. in Medicine from London University in 1967. After receiving the Outstanding Teacher Faculty Award from the Alumni at Washington University, St Louis MO, where he continued behavioral and developmental studies in dogs, cats, wolves, coyotes, foxes and other related canids, for which he earned a D.Sc. in animal behavior/ethology from London University in 1976. His wolf research in particular opened him to the plight of this highly evolved species, and with growing concern over the treatment of captive wild animals, the mistreatment of factory-farmed animals and of those used in biomedical research, he realized the need for an integrative science of animal welfare, as an interdisciplinary field of animal behavior/ethology, ethics, and veterinary medicine. So, he left academia to focus on advocating animal protection, rights and environmental conservation, and in continuing his avocation as a teacher and public speaker. Between 1967 and 2003 he served in various positions with the Humane Society of the United States, including Scientific Director and Vice President for Bioethics and Sustainable Agriculture. During this time he was a regular guest on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, and published two best selling books, Understanding Your Dog, and Understanding Your Cat. He was chairman of the National Academy of Science (NAS) Committee on Applied Animal Ethology, and served on the NAS Committee on Laboratory Animal Care and Standards for Dogs and Cats. He was also a member of the Council for Agriculture, Science and Technology Task Force on Farm Animal Welfare, and was an advisor to the National Organics Standards Board on farm animal health, welfare, and humane, sustainable agriculture.
- Author(s)Dr Michael W Fox
- Date of Publication02/05/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectVeterinary Science
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byAlan Wittbecker
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.