Health Care and the Ethics of Encounter: A Jewish Discussion of Social Justice by Laurie Zoloth (Paperback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $65.90Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by booktopia_australia
- Est. delivery by 16 Mar
- AU $20.18+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe last several years have seen a sharpening of debate in the United States regarding the problem of steadily increasing medical expenditures, as well as inflation in health care costs, a scarcity of health care resources, and a lack of access for a growing number of people in the national health care system. Some observers suggest that we in fact face two crises: the crisis of scarce resources and the crisis of inadequate language in the discourse of ethics for framing a response. Laurie Zoloth offers a bold claim: to renew our chances of achieving social justice, she argues, we must turn to the Jewish tradition. That tradition envisions an ethics of conversational encounter that is deeply social and profoundly public, as well as offering resources for recovering a language of community that addresses the issues raised by the health care allocation debate. Constructing her argument around a careful analysis of selected classic and postmodern Jewish texts and a thoughtful examination of the Oregon health care reform plan, Zoloth encourages a radical rethinking of what has become familiar ground in debates on social justice. |In order to move current disputes over the allocation of health care resources to an equitable solution, this book advocates a return to the principles of Jewish teachings regarding community and the ethics of conversational encounter.
- Author BiographyLaurie Zoloth is associate professor of social ethics and Jewish philosophy and chair of the program in Jewish studies at San Francisco State University. She is also co-founder of The Ethics Practice, a firm devoted to providing bioethics education and clinical consultation.
- Author(s)Laurie Zoloth
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication31/10/1999
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Series TitleStudies in Social Medicine
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Notenotes, bibliography, index
- Weight526 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.97
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.