All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHealthcare services in India were utterly inadequate, urban-based and curative in nature at the time of Independence in 1947. Majority of the population, especially the poor and those residing in rural areas, did t have access to modern health facilities. Consequently, the morbidity and mortality rates were quite high. Improvement in the health status of the population has been one of the major thrust areas in social development programmes of India since Independence. Over the past 68 years, India has built up a vast healthcare infrastructure manned by professionals and para-medicals. India has invested massive amounts under the successive Five Year Plans in medical education, training and research which has ensured large manpower from the super-specialists to the auxiliary midwives. Considerable achievements have been made to improve health standards such as increase in life expectancy, decrease in infant and maternal mortality, and eradication of small pox and guinea worm. Nevertheless, problems abound. Malnutrition affects a large proportion of the population especially women and children. An unacceptably high proportion of the population continues to suffer and die from new diseases apart from the existing ones. Pregnancy and childbirth related complications also contribute to the suffering and mortality of women. This book explains and examines the current status of health and health-related services/programmes in India.
- Author BiographyDr. R.K. Patel is presently Associate Professor and Head, Department of Commerce, D.C.M. Arts and Commerce College, (Gujarat University), Viramgam, Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He obtained his M.Com. and Ph.D. degrees from Gujarat University. He was awarded National Merit Scholarship in 1992. He has published 22 research papers in national and international journals of academic repute. Dr. Patel has attended and presented papers at various national and international conferences/seminars. His research paper was adjudged the best at the Clute Institute International Academic Conference, held in Las Vegas, Nevada, US during October 15-17, 2012. A life member of various academic bodies, he specializes in human resources management, health, women and child development.
- Author(s)R. K. Patel
- PublisherNew Century Publications
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationDelhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintNew Century Publications
- Weight498 g
- Width215 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.